Monday, December 29, 2008

Change a life?

I have alluded to my need to help people before but I try not to talk too much about it. I do this simply because I don't want any praise of any sort from people for what I do to help people. Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) once said "Give with the right, so the left doesn't know." (And if it's not correct like that then please correct me). I had been thinking about this for the past few days and it was a matter of fate that today at the majalis the maulana talked about the very same thing. Often times you see people donating, or doing any act simply for the sake of gaining praise from others. He went on to say that if you do end up doing these good deeds simply for the attention from other people, you will be seeking you're reward from them on the day of judgment.

I've kinda lost track of my thought so I'll be adding another part to this later... lol

With all that said, I am writing this entry to hopefully get more people to help others rather than seek praise(to be blunt, I could care less what anyone thinks). In any case, I watched the movie Slumdog Millionare and it went about describing a boy’s journey from living on the streets begging to becoming a millionaire. It was based in India where this went through anything and everything and the sad thing is that I know so many children face the same sort of trials and tribulations unnecessarily. While our children in America worry about getting a Wii, these children have to worry about making sure they have food to eat. I always thought I was going to work abroad for a few months and then come back home and work and then go back... But as of late I've become firmer in this idea of going abroad and helping children specifically. I have several things in mind that I want to tackle but they all stem from setting up a basis- an orphanage where these children will have proper schooling, clothing and most importantly food. With all the children that I hope to shelter, if ONE, only ONE goes on to college and that child goes on to put another positive effect on another child then I will have been successful. I'm not asking for anyone to go to the extreme of leaving the country and opening a orphanage. I wrote this entry to hopefully inspire someone to do something positive.
With that said, I would like to ask all of you all to come out to the protests in DC for the Palestinian crisis going on right now.

“A time of crisis is not just a time of anxiety and worry. It gives a chance, an opportunity, to choose well or to choose badly.”

Choose.

1 comment:

nikki.j said...

If you have it in you to take on such a hard and difficult journey, more power to you. Ive seen people in humanitarian work and its just a complete different type of lifestyle. If you know this is what you really need to do, I support you one-hundred percent.