Thursday, July 23, 2009

Singe your fingers...

What a cheesy title to a blog entry but who cares. In any case I’d been meaning to write a blog about one thing or another for the past 3ish weeks and didn’t end up happening until now. It’s interesting how even when I want to write a blog at times, I don’t end up doing it until its “meant to be” complete.

A couple weeks back when I had that patient with the hemorrhagic stroke (last blog entry) a friend and I were talking about the effect of traumatic and challenging events on people’s life… more specifically the metamorphosis that these events induce. Obviously in my case, the traumatic event was my father’s death. When I had my father in my life, I never really took to any of his lessons that he had taught me. It wasn’t until after his death that everything started to catch on. Prior to his passing I would know what was right and wrong but, would still do as I please… which usually ended up being wrong (not to say I was a devil child, I was just hormonal and slightly retarded). It wasn’t until my dad passed that all his lessons suddenly began stick.

After continuing to back and forth about the matter, I finally had a good metaphor come to me (shocking, as usually my metaphors suck). I've realized that in essence, everyone is a candle. And it is through these traumatic events that the candle is lit, and with that flame the individual is able to grow exponentially. Obviously there are those that do not deal with those events well at all and end up regressing. From my experience I have learned that these people generally based many of their actions on fear prior to having the event. Then once the event occurred and they were pushed further into a hole all they have left is fear… and we all know where there is fear, there is no faith...

And so I will leave you with a quote from Imam Ali (a.s.) regarding faith in God and ourselves.
Your remedy is within you, but you do not sense it.
Your sickness is from you, but you do not perceive it.
You presume you are a small entity,
But within you is enfolded the entire universe.
You are indeed the evident book,
By whose alphabet the hidden becomes the manifest.
Therefore, you have no needs beyond yourself,
What you seek is within you, if only you reflect.
- Ali Ibn' Abi Talib (A.S.)

4 comments:

queenbee123 said...

That's really insightful, and a pretty sweet metaphor too. Like you said, we stand to learn so much from life if we allow ourselves to. Our tragedies can make or break us, depending on how we deal with them.

bottled ships said...

I'm a big metaphor person. (If you read my story, you would know that already.) But a candle melts down, it doesn't grow up in anyway.

How about this: a traumatic experience is like the spark that lights a stick of fireworks. You rise, bloom in the sky, and brighten the darkness that had once filled your life.

=)

Unknown said...

life can only be lived forward and understood backward ack attack

Davood said...

yea, the candle metaphor is deep. the flame is the spirit which lights up the darkness of illusion(maya).